The Presidential candidate of the National Democratic Party (NDP), Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings has not withdrawn from the December 7, 2020 presidential race.
Sources close to her office has said that the NDP has not communicated any decision to withdraw from the race to the Electoral Commission as was being speculated.
Our checks at the Electoral Commission (EC) has also indicated that no such letter had been received as of 11:30am Monday contrary to what has been reported by some media houses.
A highly placed source at the EC told Graphic Online that as of close of work on Friday, November 20, 2020, no letter of that sort had been received.
Similarly, as of 11:30am Monday, November 23, 2020 no such letter had been received from the NDP, the source added.
Reports had suggested that the NDP presidential candidate was withdrawing from the race because of the sudden death of former President J.J. Rawlings, who was the husband of the presidential candidate of the NDP, Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings.
The NDP has a scheduled a press conference at 2pm today at the Alisa Hotel in Accra.
He said the party’s presidential candidate, Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings, has had to take a back stage in view of her bereavement and would, therefore, not be with the campaign team.
“Our teams are criss-crossing the country to motivate all our parliamentary candidates,” he stated.
As to whether the absence of the presidential candidate on the campaign would not affect the party’s fortunes, he said, “not at all. Our presidential candidate will not need physical presence anywhere to be known, given the unfortunate event.”
He said the party was upbeat about the elections due to its strategies and direction “in fulfilment of the social testament of late Papa J”.
He said the teams were heading towards the five regions of the north as well as the Bono and Ashanti regions.
“As we speak, the National Executive Committee team is currently in the Sissala West Constituency of the Upper West Region,” he stated.
Source: Graphic Online